Oversees all mortgage underwriting by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities DO NOT include: Taking loan applications, quoting rates, or discussing loan terms with applicants.
- Review application package for compliance with all applicable federal and state statutes
- Analyze all verification documents for red flags and require third party validation of verification documents, as necessary and prudent underwriting decisions and to meet secondary market/bank portfolio quality requirements
- Determine qualifying income in accordance with loan type and prudent underwriting theory
- Analyze customer asset statements to determine that an acceptable source of down payment is available and for red flags that may indicate a pattern of derogatory cash management that would impede the applicant’s ability to repay the requested loan
- Analyze appraisal and review additional property reports available, depending upon loan type, to determine that the property being collateralized represents sufficient collateral for the loan request
- Analyze credit, capacity, and collateral to determine if the loan request represents a satisfactory investment risk for the Bank. This is primarily accomplished by ensuring that the loan meets secondary market (or Portfolio), investor, mortgage insurance (private or government), and agency requirements in conjunction with any Bank credit overlays. Underwriting methods may include the use of Automated Underwriting Systems or manual underwriting (as allowed)
- Research agency and investor guidelines for resolutions to problems, including calling or emailing various agencies or investors for guidance if the guidelines are not clear
- This position will have lead underwriting authority over other underwriter’s decisions and will be responsible for management loan-level credit exceptions and business decisions
- Review loan files within turn times established by the department head
- Mentor and provide job-related educational assistance to all division employees
- Monitor the Underwriting Questions email daily for scenario questions from loan officers and respond within 24 hours
- Other monitoring, maintenance, and research as assigned
- Assist loan officers and processors with counter-offer suggestions for possible restructuring of loans into a product that would be approvable when the existing loan request would result in denial
- Issue clear-to-close loan decisions and review HMDA data for each loan
- Assists with supporting the Compliance and BSA programs of the bank
- Complete required on-line training and other training as assigned
- Community involvement and leadership
- Business development
- Other duties may be assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
FHA Direct Endorsement, VA SAR, and high school diploma or general education degree (GED). This position also requires a minimum of 10 years’ experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, VA, and USDA loans. Proficiency in both AUS and manual underwriting is required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Proficient in loan origination software and Microsoft Office products: Outlook, Word and Excel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance